Are We the Future?

Steven Guevara

October 21, 2015 was a day Back To The Future 2 fans have been waiting for since the release of the film back in 1989. It marked the day that Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) arrived in the infamous Delorean to save his children.

In the film, Marty McFly travels to what was then, the “future.” When Marty arrives, he notices a drastic change in setting. Flying cars, hover boards, holograms, and self-lacing shoes are some of the things we were believed to have in 2015, according to the movie that was released over 25 years ago.

Although some of the predictions in the movie may have been accurate, they were also wrong in some areas.

Flat screen TV’s, video conference technology, biometric identification, holograms, drones, self-lacing shoes and “Pepsi Perfect,” a limited edition version of Pepsi that was found in the film, are predictions the movie made accurately.

Rejuvenation clinics, hover boards, and flying cars are some of the things that don’t exist yet.

Technology has come along way in the last 25 years.

“Technology has advanced over the past years and it shows how far we, as a society, have been able come,” said Wilmer Lopez, a sophomore here at High Point, who claims to be a big fan of the movie series.

Although he believes we have come very far in the last 25 years, Lopez believes the future in a 25-year time span, will not be much different.

“I believe that we will have most of the things we do now, just updated. TV’s for example, have always been the same just modified and updated,” said Lopez.

In light of “Back To The Future day,” PepsiCo brought one of the items in the movie into reality. “Pepsi Perfect” was the item. Pepsi Perfect was a “vitamin-enriched” version of the standard Pepsi drink that sold in Cafe 80’s in the film. The company sold about 6,500 bottles of the drink on their website to fans of the movie in the U.S. to celebrate the day. The almost 17oz bottle sold for $20.15 and was made with real sugar, according to USA Today.

In 2012, Nike released a version of the shoe Marty McFly wore throughout the film. Nike made only 1500 pairs of the “Marty Mcfly Shoe.” The shoe designed by Tinker Hatfield, the designer of many of Nike’s athletic shoes, was placed on auction on an online website, ebay.com.

All earnings from the shoe went go to the Michael J. Fox Foundation, a foundation dedicated to finding a cure to Parkinson’s disease. The shoe raised about $4.7 million alone after all the shoes sold for $6,000-$10,000. Now it is 2015, and Nike has again unveiled an upgraded version of the sneaker. The major difference is the shoes have the ability to self-lace. It is known as “power-lacing.”

These new inventions have Back To The Future fans coming closer to being Marty McFly themselves.