Celebrating Success

Back to Article
Back to Article

Celebrating Success

Principal Sandi Jimenez honors Issmatu Barrie on her NHS induction.

Michael Soreng, Writer

On Friday, November 13, 2015, a joyous occasion took place with the National Honors Society (NHS) inductions.

There were 26 total inductees: Luis Garcia-Cerna, Samantha Venegas, Jenny Chen, Edgar Martinez-Angel, Elisabeth Ramos, Lynn-Marie Vaughan, Zayda Villatoro, Kelvin Mendoza, Keila Lobos-Hernandez, Florence Kyremanteng, Angelica Arias, Lydia James, Morelia Mesa, Adriel Espinal, Oluwadamilola Oloyede, Eric Victor, Anaiyah Lynch, Issmatu Barrie, Mohin Uddin, Elias Fekadu, Samuel Doty, Bezawit Tesema, Kimbily Warner, Gabriela Hernandez-Soto, Jordan Major, and Maria Ramirez.

Each one of these inductees are among the top five percent of High Point High School, and their induction into the society requires them to uphold the four pillars of the society, which are scholarship, character, leadership, and service.

In addition to the four pillars of the NHS, the inductees have the pledge to uphold. The NHS pledge, which states, “I pledge to maintain high scholastic standing, to hold as fundamental and worth an untarnished character, to endeavor intelligently and courageously to be a leader, and to give of myself freely in service to others. In so doing,, I shall prove myself worthy of a place in the National Honor Society.”

President of NHS, Leilani Chavez, senior, says, “[The pledge] shows loyalty towards the society, it allows the members to feel at home like a family. It brings the students together due to the fact that they all pledged to follow the four pillars of NHS.”